ORPHINIC develops innovative therapies for patients with high unmet medical needs. Our focus is on drug candidates, particularly for rare disease, but we also consider medical devices, diagnostics, and e-health projects.
We seek the First-in-Class or Best-in-Class projects that could deliver life-changing treatments. The strategy is to acquire assets in late preclinical phase or ready to enter phase 1 or phase 2 of clinical trials. We work together with the scientists and lead the clinical research, regulatory and transactional matters.
We select the projects that have high market potential and well-defined risk profile. We want to ensure that, if successful, the solution will significantly improve patient’s life.
Orphinic Scientific is a unique company in the European Union and one among a few similar existing in the world;
The team has a world class experience of drug development and conducting clinical research in cost- and time-efficient manner.
Innovative Approach to Clinical Development
The pharmaceutical industry struggles with misalignment between the development of therapeutic innovation and limited resources.
The Orphinic’s strategic advantage is its internal network of clinical research centers across the Central and Eastern Europe. Utilizing highly centralized healthcare system in this region, Orphinic is able to rapidly enroll a clinical trial and, conduct it at the highest quality and at a lower cost. By applying proprietary technology solutions, the overall clinical trial costs is reduced by 20% and the timeline is shortened by 30% compared to trials conducted in Western Europe or USA.
Orphinic guides the preclinical and clinical research in close collaboration with the project teams. Additionally, Orphinic provides internal regulatory and business development resources. Finally, Orphinic maintains close relations with the major pharmaceutical companies to facilitate exit transactions.
Our unique approach to development of innovative therapy creates the best value for our investors.
We aim to build a portfolio of more than 10 diversified projects from various therapeutic areas.
The current portfolio includes innovative pain therapies, including own IP-protected solution.
Several other assets are currently undergoing due diligence and negotiations.
Adam Kruszewski, MD, MBA (CEO), Board Member – Warsaw, Poland
- 20y+ international experience (pharma, health care sector, PE, VC)
- C- level executive successful turnarounds (Luxmed – acquired by Bupa Group, Medicover $1B, Medycyna Rodzinna),
- Built/sold own international business KCR, a leading CRO in the region.
- setting up influential health care think tank (CEE HPN)
- Advisor and investor in unicorn Doc Planner
Artur Płonowski, MD, PhD (CMO) – Cupertino, CA, USA
- 20+ years of drug discovery and development in biotech and global pharma industry – Exelixis, Takeda, Akarna, Allergan
- Co-founder of US companies (Seal Rock Therapeutics and Vasa Therapeutics)
- Hands-on experience in project value creation through selection of the most efficient strategies to demonstrate clinical safety and efficacy.
- Track record of successful exits transactions with big pharma
Jarosław Leszczyszyn, MD, Ph.D. MBA (CSO) – Warsaw, Poland/ Dublin, Ireland
- Entrepreneur, hospital and outpatient medical business ( EMC IM SA, EMC HC Ltd ( Ireland), PSMS Ltd (Ireland)
- Co-founder/former deputy CEO EMC Instytut Medyczny SA( public listed company-private hospitals network);
- Former professor of gastroenterology, National Institute for Rheumatology and Rehabilitation, Warsaw
- 25 years experience in more than 50 clinical trials as PI and national coordinator (autoimmune diseases, gastroenterology, pain medicine, oncology, infectious diseases)
Wojciech Tomikowski, MSc (CFO), Board Member – Warsaw, Poland
- 20y+ experience/ C- level executive e.g. in Novartis Consumer Health
- International experience in turnarounds/bd/M&A (South America, China, Russia and Europe)
- Partner in PE/VC, owner of a M&A advisory boutique
- Executive education programs at HBS, Wharton, LBS
Artur Brus, MA MSc LLM
- Vice President at Citibank.
- Co-founder of Clinical Servant, which is developing Smart Container for Clinical Trials (SCCT).
- A graduate of the University of Cambridge and the University of Copenhagen.
- Completed the ‘From Idea to Health Business ‘Programme’ at Imperial College Business School .
Jan Gruszczyński, BSc. – Lublin, Poland/ Oxford, UK
- MEng Master in Engineering 4th year, University of Oxford – specialising in software & electrical engineering
- Financial analysis experience in City of London M&A boutique, and in University of Oxford – financial model for a city’s sustainable energy system
- Consulting experience in Boston Consulting Group, Bain&Company and Department of Engineering Science, Oxford
- Mentee of Oxford, Yale University, Boston Consulting Group, Tauron Poland, American Chamber of Commerce
Tomasz Rejman, MSc (COO) – Warsaw, Poland
- SVP McKinsey Restructuring in London.
- Lead improvement projects for main Polish Oncological Centers.
- Former COO of Allianz Poland, Cersanit (consumer goods) and PKN ORLEN (chemicals)
- Experience in business development, turnaround/ restructuring and performance improvement.
Leszek Lisowski, Ph.D., MBA (CGO) – Sydney, Australia
- Founder of LogicBio, a Nasdaq listed $ 0.5B company.
- Associate professor University of Sydney, Children’s Medical Research Institute (CMRI) in Australia
- Expert in viral gene therapy, vectorology and genotoxicity (developed novel lentiviral and AAV vectors)
- Established a Vector and Genome Engineering Facility at CMRI
Łukasz Olek, MEng – Warsaw, Poland
- Advisor – investor and entrepreneur with IT background with over 10 years of experience.
- In 2010 co-founded and managed first online currency exchange business in Poland (internetowykantor.pl and walutomat.pl) that grew up to 100 people and 1B PLN monthly turnover. Successfully exited in 2017.
- Since 2017 investor and advisor in many technology startups
1.Scope and Purpose
The purpose of this policy is to define Orphinic Scientific approach towards environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks present in its business.
This policy will apply to its own operations as well as its subsidiaries.
Orphinic Scientific will continuously update the policy, as and when appropriate.
2.Roles and responsibilities
Orphinic Scientific senior management personnel shall be responsible for ensuring that that consideration of ESG issues is made within business and investment decisions.
Orphinic Scientific is committed to:
- Consider environmental, public health, safety, and social issues associated with target companies when evaluating whether to co-operate or invest in a particular company or entity, as well as during the period of co-operation/
- Grow and improve the companies for long-term sustainability and to benefit multiple stakeholders, including on environmental, social, and governance issues
- Remain committed to compliance with applicable local labour laws ; support the payment of adequate wages and benefits to employees; provide a safe and healthy workplace environment
- Encourage strict policies that prohibit bribery and other improper payments to public officials consistent with Anti-Bribery legislation and relevant AML legislation including European Union Anti Money Laundering directives.
- Orphinic Scientific will not co-opearate or invest in companies that utilise child or forced labour or maintain discriminatory policies.
- Orphinic Scientific provides timely information to its associates, employees and investors on the matters addressed herei
With the view to prioritise and focus its ESG assessment and management efforts during diligence and the life of the investment/period of co-operation, Orphinic Scientific will consider the magnitude of ESG-related risks and impacts associated with each individual company.
When making business and investment decisions Orphinic Scientific may consider as a guide the International Finance Corporation (IFC) 2012 Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability (Performance Standards), as well as any additional ESG guidance that Orphinic Scientific considers to be applicable.